To our loyal patients and customers,
We are living through unprecedented times with the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. We are trying to do whatever we can to continue to care for our patients and community while balancing the risk of spread of the disease.
Upon direction from provincial health authorities, Royal Oak Optometry will be canceling all routine eye exams and services until further notice, starting at 9 am Thursday, March 19th. We did not make this decision lightly and are fully aware of the critical importance that vision plays in our daily lives, especially during times of crisis like now.
Until advised otherwise, from 9 am to 1 pm Monday to Friday, we will only be triaging eye emergencies via remote telehealth consults. We have been directed to protect ourselves and our patients against Coronavirus spread, which means limited patients can be permitted into the office at a time, and must be scheduled by phone. We will have an optometrist on-site daily during those hours as well as staff members to handle phone calls.
Urgent Conditions Include
- sore/red eyes
- allergic reactions
- sudden (or worrisome) loss of vision
- broken glasses
For Telehealth Consults
- Please call 250-479-8206 and explain your symptoms. We will triage, advise you on what you can do to treat the condition, and if needed will set up a scheduled remote consult.
- You should also email a photo of the affected eye to email@example.com if possible
- We will email you the privacy terms which you must accept via email reply
- We will then schedule the consult within a 20-minute window
- A copy of the photo and notes from the consult will be stored in your electronic medical record at the office and can be shared with your GP or specialist if required/warranted
- If necessary, a prescription can be called into your chosen pharmacy and/or a referral to a specialist can be made
- As provincial coverage for telehealth optometry consults is not yet clear, we will assess a $25 fee per remote consult, in addition to any MSP coverage for that condition.
- Re-orders for contact lenses can be made by calling us at 250-479-8206 or emailing reception@royaloakoptometry.
com and will be directly delivered to your home.
- To replace broken or lost glasses, we can either provide you with your prescription via email, or we can order an identical pair of your last glasses ordered if parts are available.
Unfortunately, trying on frames in person is not considered safe at this time.
We look forward to seeing you again once things are back to normal and it is safe to continue operations. Needless to say, we hope you drink lots of water, get lots of rest, keep washing your hands, and stay healthy in the coming weeks.
The staff and doctors of Royal Oak Optometry